How are you liking the addition of recipes to Moana Saves? Yay? Nay? … Bueller?
I love food and I love recipe recommendations so I thought I would share them with all of you. Hopefully you’re onboard.
Okay, on to today’s recipe. I had a pile of overripe bananas and my family was tired of my usual banana recipes. First I tried banana muffins with apple chunks. Eh, it was okay. I’m not a huge fan of apple chunks in bread. Then I found this idea to add chocolate to banana bread. One of my favorite zucchini bread recipes is a chocolate zucchini bread so I thought why not? Everything is always better with chocolate.
I altered the original recipe to make this a muffin recipe, making these delicious breads more portable and easier to limit how many I eat. (In theory.)
These chocolate banana bread muffins are moist with the addition of the buttermilk and the gooey chocolate chips in the bread add a fun tasty surprise in every bite. Enjoy!
Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup Sugar
2 Eggs, room temperature
1 3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/3 cup Buttermilk, room temperature
1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
3 Large over ripe Bananas, Smooshed
6 oz. chopped Semi-Sweet Chocolate or 6 oz.(1/2 bag) Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, then lightly grease or paper-line your muffin tin.
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla with hand mixer. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well in between each addition. Add mashed bananas and mix until blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Add the chocolate chips and stir with a spoon until combined but not over-mixing.
- Pour the batter into muffin tins and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Yield: approximately 18 muffins
This recipe was inspired by The Hungry Housewife with alterations made by me.